Despite the cold blast of recent days, there are plenty of signs that Spring is here. The days are getting longer, the weather is warming up, buds are on the trees and the blue sky beacons me to head outside.
Has winter had you off your bike, enjoying some hibernation? If so your bike (and you?) might need a wee bit of attention. So use the arrival of spring as your inspiration to dust off your bike, give it a bit of TLC and head out to enjoy the splendor of Spring.
Spring-tune your bike
- Dust it off. Check the frame for any signs of damage or rust.
- Pump it up. Check your tyres and pump them to the recommended pressure. A floor pump is a good investment for a biking family
- Chain reaction. Check your bikes chain and gears. Clean off any dust, grime or rust. Lube the chain (it should look silky)
- Accesorise. Make sure your helmet is fitting well and undamaged. Check your pump, spare tube, bike lights and other minimum equipment (see what’s in the bag) are all present and correct.
- Check your brakes. Always do this before a ride (and after fixing a puncture). Make sure they engage well and don’t feel spongy.
For more safety check tips check out this booklet from the NZTA.
If you spot problems or are concerned about the state of your bike, pop into your local bike shop and talk about a safety check or service.
Helping your kids perform these steps is a great way to teach them how to look after their bike. Now you are ready! Where will you go?